On the Rise: Ray Hustle

By The Rap Scout
Hip Hop Vibe Staff Writer

North Carolina has been a hotbed for hip hop for many years now. In 2001, Petey Pablo was the breakout rapper from Greenville, NC. Following his short run, North Carolina rap had fallen off.

However, J. Cole put North Carolina hip hop back in the mainstream. Representing Fayetteville, he has introduced a new city to the hip hop world. J. Cole is not the only rapper representing the Crown City.

Ray Hustle has been representing Fayetteville, NC ever since his family moved to the area in 2000. He has quickly risen to become one of the city's most-popular figures in rap. Born in Detroit, Ray Hustle can be found performing in various clubs in the city. Hip Hop Vibe interviewed the rapper earlier this week and featured him as the latest "On the Rise" artist.

How long have you been rapping?
I've been rapping for 16 years now.

What was your first rap recording?
The first song i ever recorded was a feature on my cousin, Fresh's record.

Where did you grow up at?
I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan.

How did your family end up in Fayetteville, NC?
My aunt, Kim, moved to Fayetteville through the military

What impact did Fayetteville have on your rap style?
Well the impact Fayetteville had on me is it gave me music range from all the people I know from different places.

Do you consider yourself a midwest or southern rapper?
I dont consider myself a MIDWEST or SOUTHERN rapper, I'm a just a great rapper.

Do you feel like you are under the shadow of J. Cole?
I dont feel under J. Cole's shadow because we make different type of music all for the same cause, food for thought.

How do you intend to represent a different style of Fayetteville rap?
I feel my whole style is different from anyone, Fayetteville or not.

Can you talk a little bit about Loyal Boy Ent.?
Loyal Boy Entertainment is a lifestyle and entertainment company that started two years ago from a group I was in with two other members called (L.B.R) Loyalty B4 Royalty.

How do you manage a rap career and a record label?
I stay focused on the project at hand, which is to build my overall brand.

Outside of your own projects, what will be the next release from the Loyal Boy label?
Well, as of right now, the whole label is focused on my project by agreement. So, as a team we're pushing Indictment Music, Loyal Boy's next project will be Gutta Gram's mixtape Digital Scale.

Where did you come up with the name Ray Hustle?
I used to be called V.O.S, but as I got older I wanted something unique and simply me, so I came up with Ray Hustle.

Who influenced you the most in the rap game?
My biggest influence in the rap game was Tupac he touched my soul with his music and that is how I pray to reach my fans.

Do you see a career past rapping one day?
A career besides rapping for me is for sure. I will one day be a motivational speaker/civil rights activist.

Is your music currently available for purchase anywhere?
Yes, I have a single out, "Badd Girls," avalible for sale on directly though right now so anyone seeking the single can call (910) 580-6541 and ask for Ray Hustle.

When can people expect new music from you to drop?
March 2011, I will have my first project, Indictment Music, for sale in local barbershops, tobacco shops and you will be able to buy it online from iTunes and Loyalboyent.com. BEFORE I LEAVE I WANT TO THANK ALL MY FANS & SUPPORTERS FOR THEIR TIME TO CHECKOUT MY INTERVIEW...RAY HU$TLE...LOYALBOY LIVING!!!!

Total Pageviews